Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Stillness, Subjunctives, and the Hiring of Cripples

R.H. Blythe, in his first volume on Haiku, states that "stillness is not immobility, but a perfect balance of opposed forces." Sure, in an ideal poetic world. But taken literally, Julianna's current state swiftly debunks this zen-like claim. Rendered immobile by the opposing force of gravity on a split bone, her stillness is that of constricting necessity.

Then again, being spread out on a thick futon with a ready supply of books and DVDs, not to mention the loving kindnesses of a doting spouse, sounds like a pretty perfect balance to me.

I promised Part Two of Julianna's tragic weekend, but I'm a bit tied up at the moment. I'm here at work brushing up on my language abilities, reading the sixth edition of Understanding English Grammar. Despite my tenure as an English major, and with my heartfelt apologies to Prof. Julia Young, the book appears to be unused. I say appears only because the crisp pages have been flipped, although infrequently enough to look untouched. I lugged the title here somewhat reluctantly, as it displaced the American literature anthology I wanted to bring. I have a nagging suspicion, however, that its pages will be dog-eared and painted in flourescent yellow by year's end.

Tomorrow begins a three day Miyagi ALT orientation, and we're carefully considering the logistics of getting Julianna around without further smashing her already gimp leg. Stairs, toilets, and bathing facilities present the obvious challenges. We were joking around last night when I sharply suggested all the new ALTs will be whispering "I didn't know they hired cripples!" Despite the inconvenient circumstances, she's been surprisingly resiliant and in good spirits to boot.

No comments: