Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Hard Drives and Broken Teeth

Last week my hard drive crashed and I lost just about all the writing I'd done over the past two years. Meager scraps and lists of ideas, mostly, but it stings to know they're likely gone for good. Fortunately I had backed up my iPhoto library about a month ago, otherwise I would have lost upwards of 8,000 images from our past two years in Japan. I did, however, lose all my shots from our trips to Yamadera and Matsushima with Juli's brother Joe. Lessons learned, I'll be making monthly back-ups from now-on.

We spent Saturday through Tuesday in Tokyo, hunched under umbrellas with radii much too inadequate, sloshing through the crowds and arriving out-of-breath at out-of-the-way museums only to realize that yes, right, of course, they were closed at the particular moment we chose to visit them. This kind of defeated slogging is miserable enough, but it was aggravated by the triumphant return of my periodically dormant toothache, which seems to pound out its throbbing and grotesquely baroque rhythmns only when there are drastic changes in the barometric pressure. I downed four ibuprofen when the recommended dose was one, turned sleeplessly for two straight nights, and lubed up my molar with amounts of Amersol so generous that the entirety of my mouth went numb and Julianna complained that I smelled like a dentist's office.

Despite the elemental and oral setbacks, we had a good time showing Joe and his friend Seth around The Big Bento. I have a bit more to say about the trip, and the past two weeks, but it's very late, and I'm very tired, and so I'll wrap this up with a few random pictures from Tokyo:

Bird Banner
500 Yen
Blue Turtle
Hyatt Jester
Remember to check out my flickr page for more. www.flickr.com/photos/thewoodstove

No comments: